Concrete Polishing Services
Polished concrete is a cost-effective modern method of quickly brightening and strengthening commercial, retail, and industrial spaces with a durable no-wax, low-maintenance, high-sheen or high-gloss flooring system . This becomes an ideal Commercial concrete Polishing & flooring in Nyc solution for warehouses, offices, hotel lobbies, garages, and other areas where a decorative or definitive long-lasting durable floor is desired.
What is Concrete Polishing?
Concrete polishing in New York is a sustainable, eco-friendly, low maintenance solution to carpeting or concrete overlays in NYC and coatings. Essentially, an existing concrete slab is treated with a densifier and progressively ground and polished with increasingly finer grits of grinding diamonds until it has the desired reflective aggregate sheen or polish.
Retail Polished concrete floor quality is measured by grade and finish. The higher the grade, the larger the exposed aggregate tends to be. The higher the finish, the shinier and more reflective the floor appears.
Inquiry for Southside Concrete Polishing
Site Wide Form
CHOOSE YOUR FLOOR’S GRADE, FINISH, COLOR, DESIGN, AND MORE!
Your floor/polish GRADE is the appearance of revealed aggregate. That is, the higher the GRADE, the more aggregate is revealed.
- GRADE 1 (Light-Sand Finish) – This is a popular, creamy-looking, commercial ground-and-polished finish that shows only fine sand particles on the surface.
- GRADE 2 (Salt and Pepper Finish) – This is an aged-looking ground-and-polished finish that shows some smaller scattered bits of concrete aggregate.
- GRADE 3 (Aggregate Finish) – This is a customized, heavily cut surface that shows a great deal of larger aggregate bits. Seeded aggregate or other added custom items are exposed.
The CLASS-RATED FINISH refers to the degree of reflective shine that the polished floor exhibits.
- CLASS 1 (Loose Concrete, Low Reflectivity, 400 grit Finish) – A low-gloss surface that has low reflectivity. These easy-grind finishes can reveal small aggregate and pop-out pinholes that require fill and re-sanded/polished.
- CLASS 2 (Medium Reflectivity, 800 grit Finish) - A medium-gloss surface with medium, mirror-like reflectivity. These quick-grind finishes may reveal micro-pinholes that are more quickly grouted and polished. These are commonly used in retail, public, and commercial spaces.
- CLASS 3 (High Reflectivity, 1500 grit Finish) – A high-gloss, high mirrored reflectivity surface.
Preparing Your Commercial Floor for Polishing
Commercial flooring endures extreme foot traffic, heavy loads, and impacts that can wear, scratch, pit, and chip an existing concrete slab floor. Preparation is essential to ensure old surface contaminants do not distract from the desired smooth aesthetic of the finished polished floor. Our Southside retail epoxy Concrete Polishing Team thoroughly cleans and preps the existing concrete surface. This is doubly important when an epoxy resin flooring system is planned for installation.
- We dampen the existing concrete surface with water and apply filler compound where it is needed and decontaminating products on existing stains and spills. Using diamond grit pads, the concrete surface is ground until it is uniformly smooth.
- Densifying and hardening products are applied and polished using ceramic tools. Our professional polishing team polishes and re-polishes with increasingly finer high diamond grit pads until the surface achieves a distinct reflective appearance.
- Customer-requested color, dyes, stains, markings or logos, and other aesthetic enhancements are added and sealed. We apply 2-3 coats of penetrating sealer, allowing ample dry-time between coats.
- Curing time is approximately one hour. A final buff to achieve the desired final finish is completed and foot- and load-traffic may resume.
Grinding and Polishing Commercial Flooring
Southside Industrial Concrete Polishing uses industry-leading cutters, grinders, buffers, polishers, and other polishing equipment to finish our flooring systems. Our hardener, filling compound, densifiers, colors, dyes, stains, and sealers are quality brand products as well.
The polishing process begins with grinding and smoothing the existing concrete slab to ensure that it is clean, free of stains or spills, and free of voids and pits. A self-leveling concrete overlay may be recommended when the existing slab is in a very poor and pitted condition that cannot be effectively ground smooth.
Depending on the condition of the existing concrete, coarser grinding grits (25 grit, 40 grit, 80 grit, 150 grit) are initially used. After grinding, actual polishing begins. Higher diamond 100 grit, 200 grit, and 400 grit pads are progressively used to pre-polish the concrete. The chemical densifier is applied after the concrete has been pre-polished with the higher diamond 400 grit pad to expose the smoothed aggregate. Progressive high gloss polishing continues using even finer 800 grit and 1500 grit pads.
Polished concrete is a versatile system because it is a multi-step process. It allows you to choose colors, incorporate personal logos or moniker, and include ornamental floor cuts or designs. You may also decide the level of polished sheen that best suits your commercial establishment, aesthetics, traffic, and use. Sheens range from satin to high-gloss.
What is the Benefit of Commercial Concrete Polishing?
Cost and budget are always primary considerations when planning and scheduling a commercial concrete polishing renovation or new construction project. Polished commercial concrete flooring is a MORE COST-EFFECTIVE alternative to installing carpet, vinyl, or linoleum. It is approximately one-half to one-third the cost of installing ceramic tile or hardwood flooring. It is also significantly less expensive than marble or natural-stone flooring.
Your overall SHORT-TERM COST is less because your finished product is actually your existing concrete substrate renovated. Your LONG-TERM COST savings is reflected in lower (or “no”) maintenance costs.
Of course your BASE COST is directly related to the overall complexity of the concrete polishing project. The type of flooring (new or retrofitted) and customization (added special effects, colors, designs, etc.) impact the cost of the project.
The TOTAL COST of installing a new, or polishing an existing, commercial concrete floor not only includes the cost of labor and materials, but must also consider the anticipated downtime or lost revenue during project disruption.
Our Team at Southside Concrete Polishing knows this very well and we take our customer’s unique situation, time, and needs very seriously.
WE DELIVER AN AFFORDABLE, LOW-MAINTENANCE, DURABLE, COMMERCIAL POLISHED FLOORING SYSTEM IMMEDIATELY - NO WAITING!
As soon as the final seal is cured, traffic and loads may resume!
Polished commercial concrete attributes its extensive service life to its durability and ability to stand up to constant high foot- and equipment- traffic, heavy loads, and typical impacts that occur during daily operations (i.e.: dropped forklift loads, chemical and oil spills, etc.). Polished commercial concrete, as opposed to epoxy resin systems, repels moisture but still “breathes.” Other commercial flooring systems tend to seal in moisture that can grow into fungi, mold, and mildew, and breed bacteria.
Highly-polished commercial flooring increases and reflects natural light that may be available to the room. Areas aided by more natural light do not require as much artificial light, light which may add to a higher electric bill. A brighter environment also improves employee morale, vendor attitudes, and product interest.
Polished concrete is a sustainable process that supports a clean and professional environment. Durability, strength, long-life, and appeal are also enhanced. Maintenance is minimal and there is no long-term waxing, stripping, or re-polishing necessary to maintain the clean and professional appearance. It is also hypoallergenic, moisture, dust mite, and fungi-proof.
Color and unique design may be easily incorporated into your commercial polishing project with little additional effort or expense.
Does Commercial Concrete Polishing Have A Downside?
Concrete polishing is not recommended for commercial floors:
- in areas where deliveries, storage, or use of acids and solvents that tend to splash or spill are present,
- in environments or kitchens that require USDA food-grade flooring,
- in basements or garages that will not be routinely auto-scrubbed,
- on extremely porous slabs, or
- on slabs that are highly-pitted.
Why Hire the Professionals?
To enjoy the full benefits of concrete overlays, leave the job to South Side Concrete Polishing. It can be a difficult do-it-yourself project. Decorative designs can be done manually for simple patterns and designs. The more complex jobs can be done with computer software. Southside Concrete Polishing installers are well equipped with the latest techniques and skills using different overlay materials. They can also provide you with expert and creative ideas, as well as provide all the possibilities concrete overlay can do with your concrete floor. Concrete overlays are easier and more convenient to install than other concrete flooring options. They can simply be installed over a properly prepared concrete floor surface to create a new aesthetically beautiful concrete floor with your very own designs, patterns, and color.